Saturday, May 29, 2010

memorial day is upon us...which for me means a cookout at my in laws. my father-in-law knows exactly how i like my hot dogs (which is very rarely ever, but when the mood strikes - very charred) and he always makes one or two especially for me. my mother in law makes one of my guiltiest pleasures - hash brown casserole. it is so bad for you but holy moly is it good! you can also be sure there are about 50 delicious things on the table at any function she hosts which means i have to do some planning to avoid disaster.

her cookout is tomorrow evening, and here is my game plan:

1. exercise before hand. the gym opens at noon so i plan to be there when it opens and get my workout in before going home to get ready. exercise is like an appetite suppressant for me and is obviously a reminder of how hard i have to work to get every pound off...which by the way, as of this morning i have lost 82.3 lbs.

2. bring my own. i am lucky that my mother -in-law is never offended when i bring my own items to her house. tomorrow while everyone else is eating hamburgers and hot dogs, i'll be enjoying a laura's lean beef burger...perfectly pre-portioned, on a low cal - high fiber whole wheat bun i'm bringing along with me.

3. bring healthy options to share. i volunteered to bring a dessert, a salad, and some baked chips. everyone enjoys my brownie cheesecake and i doubt they'll even notice the very low fat version of it i'm taking with me tomorrow. i got a ton of beautiful veggies, strawberries and apples for a great tossed salad and of course i'm providing a light ranch dressing too. others are bringing melon and crudites, so while there will be lots of temptations, i'll be able to enjoy a healthy meal without feeling deprived.

have a great memorial day weekend!

1 comment:

sarahbais said...

Fantastic idea on bringing your own! It's hard when you go somewhere and either a) you make up the excise that you have to eat unhealthy or b) there really are no healthy options to eat! Also I love how you make good food good -I wish more people would learn that eating healthy doesn't mean eating bland!!

Afterall, I've had quite a few overprocessed BLAND meals (usually way overcompensated with sodium!).